Marathon Training – Nov. 18 -Nov. 24: TAPER WEEK 1 – This post includes my week of Running, Lifting! 🙂and other stuff I’ll add in – like recipes, podcasts.
- I’m now 2 weeks from the California International Marathon (as of Nov. 12).
- My goals are honestly just to run my best in the upcoming race. I am training to do a 3:11 full marathon (or better of course!).
- I try to include some sort of cross training 5-6days a week – either lifting weights or an insanity (plyo/core/HIIT) Workout
- I working with my running coach Susan – she is also doing the same marathon! You can read more about my training plan from her in my Week 1 post here
Running, Lifting this week (I start my week on Saturdays):
- I actually started this week on Friday afternoon with a Full body Lift (same as last week’s lifting) because I was planning to do a 10K on thanksgiving.
- 10 miles total (3 with Nike and 7 with Cathy)
- I went with my friend Cathy to do a practice run of the Turkey Trot 10K course I planned to do on Thanksgiving. IT was VERY HILLY. I chatted with Susan (my coach) about it and she said that I would need to run it as a “training run” and not as a race (which I am terrible at – if it’s a race, I want to race) so I wouldn’t injure myself before the marathon. Instead of trying to run it carefully, we decided it would be best to pull out.- you can see the course’s elevation changes below.
- Full Body Lift (same as last week’s) – column 2
- I also finished up a knitting course this weekend and am excited to start making scarves as gifts (starting with something super easy!)
- Easy run – 6miles (3 with Nike and 3 on my own) & 15 min Insanity, 15min Yoga Flex
- 30 minute max30 (Friday Fight Rd 2) with Yasi
- Easy 7 mile run (4 with Yasi and 3 with Nike)
- 30 min Insanity and 6 miles easy (3 with Yasi and 3 with Nike)< ul>
- pure cardio insanity & 3mile run with Yasi
- 3miles with Nike
- Full Body Lift (you can see below)
- New white Chocolate Protein waffle recipe!
- 3 miles with Nike (I jog, she walks… her ‘walking’ pace is 9-10min/mile)
- 2miles run to the gym
- Full body lift (same as Saturday’s!) — this is my LAST lift before the marathon. Susan recommends stopping lifting 10days before the race. I had ‘dead’ legs on Friday (after lifting Wed/Thurs) so I think it’s smart to lay off the lifting until post race! 🙂
- 2mile run home
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- 3mile warmup with Nike
- 7 miles
- 15 min stretch
- Another waffle bowl!! (to be honest, I’ve been making that White Chocolate waffle and ice cream Daily this week … very yummy!)
Total Miles for the week = 52
- NEXT WEEK will be minimal mileage (2-4miles/day) with the marathon on Sunday, Dec. 3! 🙂
As part of my regular routine to prevent injury:
- I also have been using my R8 at night while winding down which I think is really helping me stay healthy (preventing plantar fasciitis)
- I also stretch for 5-10minutes post-run using these stretches or the ones in the Beachbody on demand app
- Drinking 1.5 – 2gallons of water a day
- Eating 2 HUGE salads (like 12 cups salad mix per salad) a day — I use either mustard or balsamic vinegar for dressing. I really didn’t think much of this until this past week I had 1-2 days where I didn’t have one and had a huge craving for it! I think the salads the past few months have really helped boost my vitamins & minerals, which helps improve cell/body function and repair, which are essential to staying healthy.