Workouts— Dates: February 11-18
I have been SO sore this week… in a good way. Instead of doing hiit or lifting this week, I found myself wanting to practice yoga more and more (aside from Thursday, when I was just super sore & needed to take a little more time recovering). I purchased a couple programs that work on increasing shoulder and core strength, which I explain below.
HIGHLIGHTS! – I got up into a handstand using the wall on Thursday, and continued to practice that 2-3 times a day each day after!
o Steps: 14,965
o Morning Yoga:Flexibility Flow – 24minutes & really nice flow for recovery/stretching, plus some Foam rolling
o Afternoon :
- § 40 minute Heart-Opening Yoga (this was tough!)
- § Module 1 of “Yoga Inversions Course” (I posted a little about this course below!)
o Steps: 13,852
o Morning Yoga: 30 minute Power Vinyasa Flow for Strength (this was SUPER tough – great challenge)
- § Rising Up Stronger Flow 1 (I posted a little about this ebook below!)
- § 20min Building Strength for Inversions (module 2 course1)
- § HIIT Yoga (10min)
- § 15minute Split Stretches with Kylan Fisher – I LOVED this one. Kylan is uber flexible so this was relaxing and challenging at the same time
o Steps: 14,084
o Morning Yoga:
- § Morning Yoga Flow with Miki Ash &
- § Splits Stretches (really good stretches – you’ll have to pause it to do the other side of your body if you are following along)
- § 30 min Power Vinyasa w/ Briohny (good for beginners – slow moving) – I won’t do this one again
- § & Rising Up Stronger Flow 2 (20 minutes of it)
o Steps: 13, 273
o Morning Yoga:
- § 30min Love Flow (the instructor in this one is super-bendy! Very inspiring)
- § HIIT Booty Yoga with Koya (good workout! 10min),
- § 10 min Core Yoga with Josh (I couldn’t even do all this – ABS on FIRE!!!)
- § And 20min of Rising Up Stronger Flow 1
- § Hip Opening flow with Caley – one of my all-time favorite stretching sessions
o Steps: 15,594
o Morning Yoga:Build a Flow Class -30min with Kylan Fisher (I liked this one!)
- § I also did some handstand practice in the gym at school and got a few! I will keep working with the wall and will hopefully be able to get my feet off and balance soon.
- § 20min of Rising Up Stronger (Flow 2) – I did this at lunchtime!
- § I planned to do more in the afternoon, but ultimately decided I needed just to rest and stretch and recover… I was SO SORE today!
- § 15minute Split Stretches with Kylan Fisher
o Steps: 15,279
o Morning Yoga: Booty Power Vinyasa with Caley Alyssa plus a few handstands w/the wall at home J
- § 30min Vinyasa flow with Caley
- § 15min of Rising Up Stronger (Flow 3)
- § 15 min. Hip/Hamstrings flow
o Steps: 11,900
o Yoga Practice:
- § Transformative Alignment (Josh Kramer in Cody app – app is discussed below!)
- Hip Flexibility practice- 30min with Dylan Werner (also in Cody app)
I posted last week about “reverse-exercising”. With dropping my exercise this past month (MUCH less cardio and doing yoga vs hiit/lifting/insanity), I was up 9 pounds. This week, my body seems to be adjusting to the lower intensity exercise level. And, I’ve lost 4lbs (some of which must have been water, but I also feel leaner and like my body is responding to yoga like it has in the past to lifting)
I’m able to fast all day (I still drink BCAAs and Keto Burst and tea) and then eat one meal at night – this week it was usually a high protein meal and vegetarian. I used egg whites, protein powder, coconut flour to make protein waffles; I also air-fry some veggies and cheese; I usually toss in some lettuce; and, I will top the waffles (typically 2 of them) with peanut butter/coconut oil. You can see more of the recipes I use here and here.
I think this will change a bit this week – I wasn’t very regular this week and think it may have been due to using too much protein powder and coconut flour. I plan to incorporate more eggs this week, fermented veggies (if any), & fats like cheese/olives/olive oil and less protein powder/flour.
Why I am Loving Yoga:
Learning a new skill is scary & can be intimidating, especially when a lot of the “instagram yogis” are exceptionally flexible & strong, & I seem to be neither … Yet, I find myself wanting to practice daily and looking forward to it every morning and afternoon!
Even though I don’t have the most gorgeous practice, I’m practicing 1.5-2hrs a day (without forcing myself) and am seeing progress each week
Here is the difference from Jan 20th to today (Feb 18th) in my hip Flexibility & posture
The things I’m loving about yoga are
1) it’s challenging,
3) it doesn’t make me hangry all day like running and super intense hiit did, so I am able to stick with the Warrior diet – fasting/underfeeding all day and then eating one meal around 5/6pm … &
4) it’s very similar to life – we are all unique w/different strengths/weaknesses but becoming “great” at yoga won’t come by comparing myself to others… what matters most is being present each day & doing my best & letting progress happen naturally!
New Programs I purchased:
“inversions 101” – a course I’m doing by @caleyalyssa on @mindbodygreen
- The Inversions course is 5 lessons with exercises to build up to handstands and headstands. I did lesson 1 this week and will stay at the ‘lesson 1 level’ until I am able to do all the poses that Caley introduces in that course. Then, I will move on to the second lesson!
- The ebook from Chelsea has a series of 3 flows that improve shoulder and core strength – both of which I need (along with flexibility!). I’m planning to do one of her flows each day (they take 10-30minutes depending on how many rounds I do – I’m just going to start with 1 round.. they are tough!)
And I’m doing a Trial Membership of the following:
- I’m doing the 1 week free trial to try out a program with Josh Kramer, plus try out some of their other programs. I really enjoyed Josh’s flows on the AloYoga Youtube channel. I found his flows very challenging – he is really advanced, but offers options for those of us who are not. I think that because I couldn’t do all of his flows, I found them inspiring and I think his flows are also what made me sore this week.
- I’ll decide by next Friday whether to purchase the membership or not – it’s $20/month, but since most of the yoga studios in my area cost $100-$150/month (or $15-$20 per class), I feel this is worth the investment if I use the plans. They have a ton of options and plans that work on various things – flexibility, strength, backbends, etc – that could be very motivating for me I think.
- After using it yesterday & today, my guess is I will get it. 🙂
I listened to a podcast this past week about “what would Jesus undo?” – And the first thing is ‘spiritual indifference’. In order to combat being indifferent, Pastor Craig recommends doing 1 thing each day that Requires Faith. So, I plan to post a verse or positive faith message on Instagram each day as a way to share the Gospel and good news of Jesus Christ. This may change in the future, but for now, this is something that is out of my comfort zone and feel it’s something that I can do daily to combat being ‘spiritually indifferent”. You can check out the Life Church sermon here (it’s the first
message of a series!)